The Syllabus of My Imagination

Every now and then I muse about the required reading for a seminar in the sort of rhetorical/pragmatic/semiological hermeneutics I advocate. This morning, the reading list would include

And, of course, sundry things that I’ve written. Sorry that some of these items are so expensive.

What have I left out? Some of you know me well enough to be able to remind me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Syllabus of My Imagination

1. Dan McClain says:

Plato’s Ion seems to fit the bill. It’s funny, too.

2. AKMA says:

Funny is good. Which reminds me of Lyotard’s ‘Sur la force des faibles’, of which I once upon a time made a translation.

3. Christopher says:

What, no Blanchot (e.g. The Writing of the Disaster) or Deleuze’s Logic of Sense? The list has a lot of the ‘classics’ which generally bodes well.

4. AKMA says:

Christopher, I came by Deleuze after I was already pretty well tracked, so he didn’t come to mind as immediately — but that’s right. And I must confess to being innocent of Blanchot, so now I have something more to chew on.

5. AKMA says:

Lakoff and Johnson, Metaphors We Live By

Frank Kermode, The Art of Telling (US) or Essays on Fiction 1971-82 (UK)

Nicholas Lash, Theology on the Way to Emmaus

6. Judy S-N says:

And this class would span how many semesters?

7. Laura says:

Understanding Comics sounds like a fab one to read.

8. AKMA says:

@Judy: As many as it takes!

@Laura: It’s a classic, a real landmark — it started a series of intense arguments among comics authors.

Plus, Margaret remembered that I should include

Jane Tompkins, ‘Indians: Texualism, Morality, and the Problem of History’

Terry Castle, ‘Contagious Folly: An Adventure and its Skeptics’ (also in Questions of Evidence a terrific book as well)

and Henry Louis Gates, ‘“Authenticity’, Or The Lesson of Little Tree

[Later: G. E. M. Anscombe, Intention]

9. Pingback: Akma » What Is ‘Evidence’?

10. Pingback: Akma » Meaning, Information, and Inference

11. AKMA says:

Roland Barthes, Mythologies.

Barthes, Elements of Semiology

Barthes, Image-Music-Text

12. Nate Dawson says:

Along with all the other things I am reading right now, I started Augustine, De Doctrina Christiana books 1 & 2. In the light of what I have read in modern / post-modern hermeneutics, phenomenology, and existentialism, I clearly read Augustine with some non-traditional lenses. For example, folks in Grand Rapids Michigan love to quote Augustine as their source for Calvinistic / western thought.

13. AKMA says: