Maybe if I make a list of things I need to do during the break, it’ll help motivate me to get going. So:
- Housecleaning, of course
Mark Church History papers and assign grades
- Mark Gospel Mission papers and send comments to colleague
Prepare and preach sermon for Gaudete Sunday Referee article for CBQ
- Clear backed-up email
- Write 500-word definition of “postmodern biblical criticism” (ha!)
- Review Richard Hays book
- Review Wayne Meeks book
- Review Jason Byassee book
- Review Stan Hauerwas book
- Finalize preparations for New Testament II course
And, of course, holiday shopping, card mailing, bill paying, fun with Pippa, and having a nice, restful break between terms, since the stretch from January to June might otherwise break my spirit.
OK, enough blogging. Time to start on my list.
The sermon should come together, I think, without onerous strain. I have some pretty clear ideas: I want to incorporate Candide, John the Baptist’s preaching, and the liturgical-scriptural emphasis on rejoicing. On, now, to papers and homiletical prep.